It’s easy to buy furniture and home decor that is made from sustainable materials. Many companies are making products with non-toxic finishes, renewable resources, organic fabrics, and more. Going green doesn’t have to cost you more money or take more time. With these tips, you can find eco-friendly furniture that fits your style and budget.
Think About Your Purchasing Habits
People often make impulsive furniture purchases without thinking about the long-term impact of their decisions. When you’re shopping for furniture, you want to make sure your choices are durable and sustainable. Before you make a purchase, ask yourself these questions:
- What is the life expectancy of the product?
- Does it have the potential to be repaired or re-purposed?
- Are the materials used in this product toxic?
If you’re not sure, it’s a good idea to do a little research before you buy.
Any type of wood – bamboo, cork, or rattan – is a renewable resource, but other materials like steel, concrete, and leather also have eco-friendly options. The most eco-friendly materials are those that minimize your carbon footprint and don’t release harmful toxins into the environment. Here are some materials to look for when shopping for eco-friendly furniture and home decor:
- Organic Fabrics: Fabrics that are made from organic materials are safe for you and your family. You’ll want to look for items made with organic cotton, linen, and hemp.
- Natural Dyes: Instead of using synthetic dyes, many eco-friendly manufacturers use natural dyes. These dyes use non-toxic materials like turmeric, beets, and coffee.
- Non-toxic Finishes: Most furniture is finished with a lacquer or stain to give it a beautiful, glossy look. But many stains contain toxic chemicals that aren’t safe for you or the environment. Look for furniture that has a non-toxic finish.
Sustainable Furniture Brands
Many companies have made a commitment to producing eco-friendly furniture. Here are some of the top sustainable furniture brands on the market:
- Green Furniture: Green Furniture uses sustainable materials like hemp and flax and non-toxic finishes. They also offer a line of eco-friendly office furniture.
- Green couch: Green Couch Furniture uses organic and recycled materials to make indoor and outdoor furniture.
- EcoFabric: EcoFabric specializes in eco-friendly furniture made with organic fabrics.
- Eco Home: Eco Home makes organic cotton and linen curtains, bedding, and furniture.
Repurposing Old Items
If you want a unique look but don’t want to spend money on new items, repurpose old or discarded furniture. You can use hardware and paint to transform an old, broken piece of furniture into something new. You can also use repurposed materials to make one-of-a-kind home decor. For example, you can make a lamp from a mason jar or an end table from wooden crates.
Sustainable Building Materials for Furniture
Wood is one of the most popular building materials for furniture. However, the harvesting and production of wood furniture have a huge impact on the environment. Here are some sustainable furniture building materials that have a low impact on the environment.
- Cork: Cork is made from the bark of a cork oak tree. When the bark is harvested, it regenerates, so harvesting cork doesn’t significantly impact the number of trees.
- Hemp: Hemp has a very low impact on the environment. It grows in many different climates, and harvesting it doesn’t require chemicals or pesticides.
- Wool: Wool is a sustainable material that is often used in high-end furniture because it is easy to clean and naturally repels dust mites.
Be Socially Responsible
When you shop for furniture, look for companies that are socially responsible. Sustainable practices and socially responsible business models go hand-in-hand. When you buy furniture from a socially responsible company, you know that your money is going towards the betterment of society. If you want to buy a new couch, check out Your Local Furniture Store. They are a site that connects you with local furniture stores. When you buy from a local retailer, you’re not only getting a great deal, but you are also helping your community thrive.
Buying eco-friendly furniture isn’t just a great way to reduce your environmental impact. It can also save you money. Many sustainable materials are less expensive than their synthetic counterparts. And, many sustainable materials are more durable, so you’ll get more use out of your furniture. If you’ve been thinking about making the switch to eco-friendly furniture, now is a perfect time. With these tips, you can find eco-friendly furniture that fits your style and budget.
Leave a Reply